Saturday, March 11, 2006

Copywrong

Recently, the RIAA and other similar organizations have told Canada we need to chage our copyright laws for the new digital age. I say go to hell.

If anybody has even looked at the demands of these organizations, you know something is fishy. I'll give a couple of examples.

Music: I buy a CD and I really like a song on it. I want to put that song on my MP3 player. Based on the demands, I'd have to purchase that song from a download site in order to legally put it on my MP3 player.

Movies: I want to convert a DVD into DivX format so I can watch it on my laptop during a long flight. I don't want to bring the disc with me incase it might be stolen. It would be illegal for me to do this as decrypting DVD format is piracy.

Software: I own two computers with CD burners. I've just purchased some CD burning software. In order to be legal, I'd have to buy two copies of the boxed version to be legal as the company doesn't sell individual licences.

Does any of this make sense? I say no, it doesn't. I equate it to Honda telling me I can't put better wheels or a supercharger in my car because it's their design and they own it, even if I've made all my payments on it. As long as somebody is not selling or giving it away, they should be free to do what ever they want with software for their own personal use.

But wait, it gets better. Soon we will be able to purchase HD movies. Now if you have an HDTV made before 2003 or any computer currently on the market, you will not be able to play these discs. Why? DRM, or digital rights management. It's a broad term for invasive copy protection that includes spyware, rootkits, and other nasties that mess up your computer, and it's all perfectly legal. Computers and TVs will require a special DRM chip to play these movies. No computers have this chip and only TVs made after 2003 do.

Copyright today is copywrong. These people should not be punishing consumers because some triad in Hong Kong is making priated copies of their stuff.
Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "Copywrong"